Anna completed her medical training at UWA in 1990, medical oncology training (FRACP) in 2000, and a PhD at UWA in 2003 in tumour immunology. With her laboratory-based PhD thesis, followed by a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical trials and quality of life research, Anna has gained a unique translational perspective with expertise in laboratory science, clinical trials, patient-rated outcomes and quality of life. She has longstanding research and clinical interests in malignant mesothelioma. As the Director of NCARD Professor Nowak leads and collaborates with around 35 scientific staff and graduate students. Anna is passionate about patient-doctor communication, mentoring, and women in oncology and science.
Professor Anna Nowak
PROFESSOR ANNA NOWAK
- Nowak AK, Blancafort P, Lake RA, Lesterhuis WJ, Chee J, Creaney J, Waddell N. Targeted Epigenetic Modification to Improve Mesothelioma Responses to Immunotherapy. US Department of Defense Idea Award with Special Focus. USD399, 398. 2020-2021.
- Anagnostou V, Forde P, Nowak AK. Molecular Mechanisms of Response and Resistance to Immunotherapy in Mesothelioma. US Department of Defense Translational Team Science Award. USD258, 214 2020-2023.
- Fisher S, Lake RA, Morahan G, Ram R, Nowak AK, Lesterhuis J, Bueno R. The MexTAg Collaborative Cross: Understanding Genetic Modifiers in Mesothelioma. USA Department of Defense. 2018-19. $500,375. CA170299
- Fisher S, Lake RA, Nowak AK. The MexTAg Collaborative Cross. iCARE Dust Diseases Board. $246,884. 2018-19
- McDonnell A, Nowak AK, Lake RA, Robinson B, Cook A. Identifying immune biomarkers of response to chemotherapy in malignant mesothelioma. iCARE Dust Diseases Board. $232,926. 2018-19
- Ebert M, Cook A, Nowak AK, Gill S. Mixed radiotherapy fractionation: modulating tumour microenvironment to stimulate and enhance immunotherapy. Cancer Australia. 2019-2021. $597,521 APP1163065
- Alistair Forrest, Peter Leedman, Ryan Lister, Timo Lassmann, Christobel Saunders, Camile Farah, Bruce Robinson, Anna Nowak, Ursula Kees, Terrance Johns, Ruth Ganss, Wendy Erber, Mel Ziman, Richard Lake, Michael Millward, Benhur Amanuel. Centre for Advanced Cancer Genomics. $1,750,000. Australian Cancer Research Foundation equipment grant. 2017
- Robinson BWS, Nowak AK, Millward MJ, Creaney J, Holt R, Watson M, Wadell N, Chee J, Newell EW. The impact of therapy on T-cell recognition of mutated tumour neo-antigens. APP1146909. $1,111,129. 20 2018-2021.
- Appointed Associate Dean (Research) and Deputy Executive Dean of the Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences at UWA.
- Invited to Board of Cancer Council of Western Australia 2020.
- Sensitization to immune checkpoint blockade through activation of a STAT1/NK axis in the tumor microenvironment. Zemek RM, De Jong E, Chin WL, Schuster IA, Fear VS, Casey TS, Forbes C, Dart SJ, Leslie C, Zaitouny A, Small M, Boon L, Forrest ARR, Muiri DO, Degli-Espositi MA, Millward MJ, Nowak AK, Lassmann T, Bosco A, Lake RA, Lesterhuis WJ. Science Translational Medicine; 11(501) pii: eaav7816, 2019.
- Concurrent and Adjuvant Temozolomide for 1p/19q non-co-deleted anaplastic glioma: interim results of the intergroup CATNON trial (EORTC study 26053-22054). van den Bent MJ, Baumert BG, Erridge SC, Vogelbaum MA, Nowak AK, Wick W, Sanson M, Brandes AA, Clement PM, Baurain J-F, Mason WP, Wheeler H, Chinot OL, Weller M, Golfinopoulos V, Aldape K, Jenkins RB, Dubbink HJ, Dinjens WNM, Wesseling P, Nuyens S, Gorlia R, Kros JM. The Lancet. 390(10103): 1645-53, 2017.
- Tremelimumab as second- and third-line treatment in relapsed malignant mesothelioma (MM): a phase 2b, randomised, double blind, placebo-controlled study (DETERMINE). Maio M, Scherpereel A, Calabro L, Aerts J, Cedres Perez S, Bearz A, Nackaerts K, Fennell DA, Kowalski D, Tsao AS, Taylor P, Grosso F, Antonia SJ, Nowak AK, Taboada M, Puglisi M, Stockman P, Kindler HL. Lancet Oncology 18(9): 1261-73, 2017.
- The IASLC Mesothelioma Staging Project: Proposals for Revisions of the T descriptors in the forthcoming Eighth edition of the TNM classification for pleural mesothelioma. Nowak AK, Chansky K, Rice DC, Pass HI, Kindler HL, Shemanski L, Bille A, Rintoul RC, Batirel HF, Thomas CF, Friedberg J, Cedres S, de Perrot M, Rusch VW, on behalf of the Staging and Prognostic Factors Committee, Advisory Boards and Participating Institutions. Journal of Thoracic Oncology 11(12); 2089-99, 2016.
- Cook AM, McDonnell AM, Millward M, Lake RA, Nowak AK. Co-medication with dexamethasone of mesothelioma patients undergoing chemotherapy causes substantial immunomodulatory effects with implications for chemo-immunotherapy strategies. Oncoimmunology, 5(3) 11p, 2016.