Scott grew up in Karratha, Western Australia and graduated from Curtin University with a BSc (Hons) before receiving his PhD from the University of Western Australia. He continued his postdoctoral training at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) and the City of Hope National Comprehensive Cancer Centre, Duarte, California, before returning to Perth where he joined NCARD in May 2008. Scott coordinates the pre‑clinical MexTAg research program. His research interests include investigating how an individuals’ genetic makeup contributes to mesothelioma development and how the body’s immune system interacts with the developing tumour. He supervises honours and PhD research students and lectures in tumour immunology.
Dr Scott Fisher
DR SCOTT FISHER
- Understanding how host genetics affect mesothelioma development after asbestos exposure. CIs: Lake RA., Fisher SA., Morahan G., Nowak AK., Lesterhuis WJ., Robinson B., Bueno R. Funded by: icare Dust Disease Care NSW (2018-2020); US Department of Defense (2018-2021); NHMRC (2019-2022).
- Assessing the carcinogenic potential of different asbestos and asbestiform fibres. CI Fisher SA., Lake., RA. Funded by NCARD (2018-2020)
- Understanding the impact of voluntary exercise as an adjunctive strategy to improve the efficacy and tolerability of anti-cancer treatment for mesothelioma. CI Fisher SA., Nowak AK., Peddle‑McIntyre CJ., Newton RU., Lake RA (2018). Funded by Slater and Gordon Health Research Fund; NCARD.
- Understanding the host-cancer immune response to better develop and use novel immunotherapies with the aim of improving treatment options for mesothelioma and other solid malignancies.
- Fear, V., Cook, A., & Fisher, S. (2019). The Future of Mesothelioma Research: Basic Science Research. In Caring for Patients with Mesothelioma: Principles and Guidelines (pp. 203-227). Switzerland: Springer Nature. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-319-96244-3_18
- Fear VS, Forbes CA, Chee J, Ma S, Neeve S, Celliers L, Fisher SA, Dick I, Creaney J, Robinson BWS: Neo-antigen specific T cell responses indicate the presence of metastases before imaging. Sci Rep 2019, 9(1):14640. PMID: 31601975
- Ro-Ting Lin MJS, Lung-Chang Chien, Scott Fisher, Jukka Takala, Richard Lemen, Tim Driscoll, Ken Takahashi: Bibliometric analysis of gaps in research on asbestos-related diseases: declining emphasis on public health over 26 years. BMJ Open 2018, 8(7):e022806. PMID: 30049702
- Fear VS, Tilsed C, Chee J, Forbes CA, Casey T, Solin JN, Lansley SM, Joost Lesterhuis W, Dick IM, Nowak AK,…Scott Fisher: Combination immune checkpoint blockade as an effective therapy for mesothelioma. Oncoimmunology 2018 Jul 30;7(10):e1494111. PMID: 30288361
- Fisher SA, Aston WJ, Chee J, Khong A, Cleaver AL, Solin JN, Ma S, Lesterhuis WJ, Dick I, Holt RA et al: Transient Treg depletion enhances therapeutic anti-cancer vaccination. Immun Inflamm Dis 2017, 5(1):16-28. PMID: 28250921
- Steven A, Fisher, S.A., and Robinson, B.W. : Immunotherapy for lung cancer. Respirology 2016, Jul 21((5)):821-833. PMID: 27101251
- Creaney J, Ma S, Sneddon SA, Tourigny MR, Dick IM, Leon JS, Khong A, Fisher SA, Lake RA, Lesterhuis WJ et al: Strong spontaneous tumor neoantigen responses induced by a natural human carcinogen. Oncoimmunology 2015, 4(7):e1011492. PMID: 26140232